Saturday, March 13, 2010

Kindle Update

I thought I would update my review of the Kindle. I am still loving it, and I use it quite a lot. I also found a really good program that helps me to organize and work with my ebook files. It's called Calibre, and it seems really useful so far.

It uses an iTunes like file management system that copies the files that you add into a set of folders that are organized by author. It's easy to find any file that I need, and it will also move files over to a connected ebook reader if you ask it to. It also allows you to edit meta-data.

Calibre will convert between file types. I find this really useful for making pdf files more accessible on the Kindle. The reader can handle pdf files, but it doesn't have as much power to change how the text is displayed compared to other ebook file types like the .mobi type. Calibre makes it easy to convert a pdf file into a mobi file. If the pdf is based on an image, and does not have search-able text there's really no point, but pdfs with text info turn out great.

Calibre has one other feature that I might start using, particularly once I get back overseas. It has a whole bunch of newspapers from around the world, and if you ask it to it will go to the website and rip the news from the site and stick it on the Kindle in mobi format. You can then jump from article to article, and move down through articles that you are interested in reading. I might end up using this to get news in the future, since it does work really slick. The other options are to either subscribe to something using the Kindle store (automatic delivery over cell coverage is sexy), or just buy English language newspapers. The last option won't provide the same amount of news from Canada, though I find my interest in news focus does change depending where I am.

Final verdict, Kindle still sweet, and can do more stuff than I was aware of previously.

No comments:

Post a Comment