Saturday, March 6, 2010

E-Portfolio Proposal

- Why have you chosen to complete an e-portfolio?

I think it will be a valuable collection of evidence that will be easy to show prospective employers and others. I want ot have this option, and once it's set up it will be easy to add to and modify.

- What professional uses does an e-portfolio have for you?

The portfolio will be useful not only for selling myself to potential employers, but also for sharing ideas and materials with other teachers. The website format will also demonstrate my skills in using technology.

- What content do you plan to include?

I plan to include a lot of different things, including: descriptions; internship report; sample lesson and unit plans; photos; possibly video; links to resources that I've built (website, blog); my resume; possibly scans of certificates; reference letters; and that sort of thing; and links to organizations and information about my training and experience (for example, CERTESL, Global Gathering, ECC). I may also include a link to a set of Delicious bookmarks that I'm putting together that revolve around teaching EAL.

- What graphic design considerations have you taken into account for the look of your e-portfolio?

I am planning to set it up in a very clean way, with simple organization and little clutter. It will have a straightforward and consistent navigation set and use simple black and off-white colour scheme. Here is an image of the conception so far:

There will be tabs across the top to provide access to categories of things, and along the left to switch between items within that category.

- What concerns do you have about the process? How do you plan to address these concerns? 

I am pretty much just concerned with privacy issues. I worry about the safety of having things like that up on the net. They might be used by unscrupulous individuals to help with forging degrees or that sort of thing. Another thing is reference letters. I am concerned about putting those up because they include people's personal contact information and that sort of thing. I am probably going to use description and links to websites to describe my certificates and the accomplishments they represent, and the same for reference letters, or possibly put the letters up, but with redaction.  

I will talk with my professor to address these concerns, and likely put into effect the alternatives that I listed above.

- If anyone would like to make any suggestions I'd appreciate them!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dan

    I love the layout. Simple is always a good choice. I also share your concerns about privacy. You may want to provide the reference contact information only upon request.

    Nothing holding you back in my opinion.

    Jay

    ReplyDelete