Thursday, March 11, 2010

Document Collection - Photos and Letters; Plus Subbing at Global

Anyeong all. I am continuing to get things ready for my SMOE application. I am not in too much of a rush, because of limits put on my by my passport. I need to get my new passport before things will get going too quickly. I am trying to get as much ready as I can in the meantime though.

Today I finished up my passport application by having my guarantor fill out her section, and by having passport photos taken. I ended up having 4 pairs of photos done, because I'll also need photos for my visa application, job applications, and my Alien Registration Card. I am planning to take everything down to the Federal Building tomorrow after class.

I also sent the first of two reference letters to Footprints, because they asked to look them over to make sure they fit the requirements. The reply I received basically suggested that the letter was unclear about whether my referee was just a coworker, or a supervisor. I thought it was clear from what was said in the letter, but I asked Vera to change the letter and give me it again, just in case. She put it in explicitly that she was my supervisor, so it should be good. I'll scan this new version soon and send it to Footprints.

Finally, I am very excited that I get to sub at Global Gathering for the next two weeks. It's an evening EAL class, and I get to teach twice a week for two hours each night. It should be a really good time. I have subbed for this teacher a few times in the past, and I volunteer with her class twice a week, so the students are very familiar with me. It's nice to sub in an environment where you are familiar with the students and organization.

Also, I've learned recently that Global is going to be changing a bit in the next month or so. They are moving from a more or less drop-in model to a mandatory one. They are having all the students tested by the Newcomer Information Center and the classes will be changing a little bit. They will be based around the Canadian Language Benchmarks, which should be interesting. I know very little about these, and hopefully I'll learn a lot. The changes seem to move Global closer to the set up found at Open Door.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you for getting some hours at Global. It is a great opportunity for you and I can remember you mentioning how much you enjoy it.

    I am kinda familiar with Benchmarks. It is a good way to systematize and organize the literacy levels of folks trying to learn English.

    ReplyDelete