Friday, February 12, 2010

Wikipedia Changes




The additions that I made to a Wikipedia page related to my favorite subway station. It's called Songnae Station, and it was generally my departure point for a lot of my adventures. To the right is the page before I made any changes. I added the following sentences: "It is an above-ground station located in the city of Bucheon. It provides access to many restaurants and other services, including the Toona Shopping Center." I also added the coordinate data that allows people to easily locate the station using other software.

The following two images are the top and bottom of the page after alterations.


 
 


I also learned that there's a difference between Latitude and Longitude in decimal form and with degrees and minutes and stuff. I found a converter that helped me get it into a form that Wikipedia liked.
The location worked great once I got the numbers into decimal form. Here is the pointer that I added on a satellite map (the red A).

 Apparently Google Earth will index Wikipedia periodically, and should find the location that I added to the Wikipedia page. It will then add a link to the location of Songnae Station in Google Earth and Google Maps so that when people look at the station, there will be a link to the Wikipedia page.

Finally, here is a link to the new page. Hopefully the additions that I've made will stick around for a bit. They've been up for a few hours now, so hopefully they won't get axed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment